Job Description – Teaching Assistant
The Teaching Assistant serves Generations Christian Education (Generations) supporting the implementation of its vision for Christian Education in Hong Kong by assisting teachers in class and with particular children.
Line management will be provided by the class teacher in the case of Education Assistants or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) in the case of Learning Support Assistants.
Performance Management will be provided by a member of the School Management Team and functions through regular meetings, the annual Performance Management cycle and Education Assistant meetings.
The term Teaching Assistant is generic. Within this definition, Learning Support Assistants operate particularly in support of SENCos in working with children with particular needs and Education Assistants are based within a classroom supporting the teacher in delivering the curriculum to children.
Classroom and Support:
- To provide general instructional support to students in the lesson so that daily lesson objectives are reached
- To provide assistance to help students to reinforce targeted lesson skills on a one-to-one basis or in small or large groups of students.
- To work under the direction of classroom teachers or SENCo and be available to provide targeted support to students.
- To assist teachers in the preparation of resources and the classroom.
- To provide assessment information on children’s achievements in tasks they have been supporting with.
- To provide clerical support to the teacher or SENCo.
- To help classroom and specialist teachers with various duties of classroom management such as supervising students during class time
- To take on ad hoc tasks as directed by the Vice Principal or Principal
- To be a positive representative in the community that encourages them to support the Vision and Mission of the school.
- Ensure that classroom administrative duties are carried out promptly and thoroughly such as distribution of letters and information to parents, collection and processing of moneys and forms, submission of internal forms.
- Provide ad-hoc administration support to the school office if required.
- Monitoring students and the environment for safety and security. Identifying areas of risk and working with the Principal and other staff to improve safety and security for all people and property.