JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION FINANCE MANAGER
1. Position Objective
The Finance Manager serves Generations Christian Education and Generations member schools (Generations) supporting the implementation of its vision for Christian Education in Hong Kong, and is part of the Senior Leadership team. The Finance Manager also provides key support to the Executive Director with regard to all financial operations and reporting requirements to the Board, its Committees and external parties.
2. Reporting To
Line management is provided by the Executive Director, and functions through regular meetings, Senior Leadership Team meetings, monthly finance reports and Committee meetings when called upon.
3. Key Responsibility Areas
The main duties relative to this position include:
- Under guidance from the Executive Director give strategic vision and leadership to all aspects of Generations financial operations, financial performance and financial management.
- Lead, operate, maintain and develop the financial procedures and systems of Generations; working closely with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Executive Director; doing so in a way that satisfies the policies of Generation, the laws of Hong Kong SAR and the requirements of Government departments.
- Provide front line collegial support and recommendations to Senior Leader Team members to assist them in appropriately managing the finances of their school/s and the organisation achieving its vision.
b. Financial Management
- Develop financial management systems, policies and procedures to ensure the school complies with HK SAR financial regulations.
- Be responsible for compiling and monitoring the annual budgets along with three, five and ten year financial modelling.
- Take responsibility for managing all external and internal audit procedures as necessary
- Attend meetings as required and called upon to give advice and report on financial management issues
- Support and train staff responsible for delegated budgets with procedures that enable them to monitor these budgets.
- Be responsible for the tendering of all service contracts;
- Manage the Generations insurance policies with a view to cost-effectiveness; and ensuring Generations achieves best value.
- Prepare regular estimates of income and expenditure, for approval by the Board and School Management Committee/s
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, manage the School’s Information Management Systems (SIMS)
- Provide key support with the development of proposals for particular projects and the development of long-term initiatives.
- Provide key support for the construction of project bids/proposals as required.
- Monitor and control capital expenditure, budgeting with regular reporting.
- As directed by the Executive Director monitor and control the placing of contracts, and appointment and monitoring of contractors.
- Be responsible for managing the work of the Finance team and ensure all budgeting and accounting functions are performed to comply with financial regulations and Generations policies.
- Produce regular (monthly) management accounts for each member school along with consolidated reports
- Be responsible for ensuring all financial statutory and local authority returns are completed on time.
c. Human Resources
- Work in conjunction with the Human Resource Manager to ensure the accurate, appropriate and timely payment of staff remuneration.
- Jointly authorise the Schools’ monthly payroll and MPF payments in a timely manner
d. Debtor Management
- Mange the recording, issuing and maintenance of all school debtor accounts for areas such as tuition fees, levies & miscellaneous charges
- Appropriately manage Autopay fee collection processes at required intervals
- Appropriately manage in a timely and appropriate manner debtor enquiries from parents and attend to fee adjustments on the Schools’ Information System.
- Monitor and manage the performing of regular and periodical debtor reconciliations and collections.
- Continually review existing practices
e. Creditor Management
- Mange and regularly review Generations procurement processes
- Manage timely Creditor payments
- Monitor Schools Petty Cash Systems and monthly reconciliations
- Manage appropriate filing of all accounts payable documentation
f. Audit Management
- Manage the timely completion of the annual external audit to satisfy Statutory financial reporting and return obligations.
- Manage appropriate user training on the schools’ administration software/systems.
- Provide team support and guidance to the Generations office staff when needed and required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
4. Organisational Relationships
Internal Liaisons: Executive Director, School Management Committees, School Supervisors, Principals, school teaching and operational support staff, Schools’ Parents’ Associations, school parents and communities
External Liaisons: Company Auditor, Schools’ Bankers, Government Departments and Agencies.
5. Conditions of Employment
The conditions of employment for this position include:
- per individual contract
- Interpersonal and team-building skills
- Commitment to high standards
- Active Christian faith supportive of Generations Christian Education’s Statement of faith, Mission and Vision
- Strong Attitude of Service
- Commitment to excellence
- Adaptability in a changing environment
- Ability to manage stress
Skills and Knowledge
- Relevant experience in managing financial operations of organisations of a similar or larger size
- Excellent level of interpersonal skills to disseminate information, communicate strategic direction, deal sensitively and fairly with all stakeholders and suitably resolve conflict where necessary.
- Strong strategic financial acumen
- Plan and implement improvement strategies
- Excellent knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel)
- Inspire and motivate staff
- Ability to communicate vision
- Ability to effectively manage change
- Ability to effectively liaise with partner organisations
- Strong client service orientation
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with SAS2000 School Administration software
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn Mandarin and Cantonese
Qualifications & Training
- Suitably recognised Business (e.g. Finance/Accounting) Degree/s and/or Masters
- Suitable recognised Accounting qualification/s and professional group membership
- Excellent numeracy/literacy/ICT skills
- Full working knowledge of all relevant financial and statutory legislation to interpret and suitably apply to Generations
- Minimum 10 years relevant professional experience
- Management experience within an International School setting
Issue Date: November 2012