Passionate about Information Literacy? Love sharing your passion for literature?
Island Christian Academy is a community-minded International School located in the vibrant Soho district in Hong Kong. Island Christian Academy currently has an enrolment of 455 students in Years 1-7. The school is in its eighth successful year of operation and has recently been fully accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS)!
The school is now seeking a passionate, experienced teacher librarian to take on the challenge of growing our learners into the next generation of information-literate leaders! We are looking for a team-oriented, people-smart teacher to join our staff and to further improve our collective capacity to improve student outcomes and grow skills in both traditional and digital areas of learning in the library.
We offer, as our core curriculum, the International Primary Curriculum (IPC). The IPC gives us a framework to structure and deliver an engaging, inquiry-focused learning programme with an integrated, thematic approach to learning. It supports rigorous, differentiated learning that is active and exciting for children. Learning with the IPC takes a global approach; helping children to connect to where they are living now as well as looking at the learning from the perspective of other people in other countries.
In addition to the IPC, Island Christian Academy uses the UK National Curriculum for English, Australian National Curriculum for Mathematics and internally-developed curricula for Christian Studies and Chinese.
We have a diverse learning programme supported by specialist teachers in PE, Chinese and Music. Our schedule provides generous collaborative time within the school day to plan and prepare with teaching partners and year-level teams.
We are passionate about emphasising a balanced approach to teaching and learning, which is visible in our programme, developing learners academically, physically, socially and emotionally and spiritually.
Our school’s mission is to: EDUCATE|CULTIVATE|INSPIRE.
To help achieve this mission, our Teacher Librarian will:
● formulate and implement library rules and procedures
● maintain literacy as a high priority, engaging students in reading, viewing and listening for understanding and enjoyment,
● develop and teach a curriculum of information literacy and technology across the school, in collaboration with the Digital Learning Leader,
● provide access to resources through efficient and well-guided systems for organising, retrieving and circulating resources, including maintaining and organising classroom library books, guided reading resources, teaching resources and books cataloguing,
● Manage the library budget in collaboration with the Principal and SLT,
● ensure IslandCA’s values and personal goals are embedded in daily practice and teaching
● plan collaboratively for a diverse and engaged student community,
● model and promote international-mindedness in our learning environment, and
● be a passionate advocate for children in their learning and development!
The ideal candidate will:
● Be able to demonstrate their own personal commitment to being a lifelong learner
● Be passionate about Christian education and excited to shape the lives of future generations,
● Know how to inspire and lead others through challenge, change and innovation,
● Have a diverse applied knowledge of educational practices and models, including evolving practices in information literacy, children’s literature and library studies,
● Be committed to developing collaborative practices with students and staff, and
● Be an advocate for the effective integration of digital tools and technologies to improve learning outcomes for students.
If this role sounds like the right next step in your teaching career, we look forward to hearing from you about how you might be the right person to join our team and help shape the future for our amazing learners here at Island Christian Academy!