Generations Christian Education seeks an experienced, internationally minded Principal to launch and lead a new English-language Primary school in Hong Kong. With over 35 years of experience in international education in Hong Kong, Generations is developing a new Primary school to serve children aged 5-13. In common with other Generations primary schools, this new school will base its learning programme around the enquiry-based International Primary Curriculum (IPC), bolstered by the UK National Literacy Framework and the Australian National Mathematics Curriculum. Chinese Studies, Music, PE, and an integrated approach to Christian education are also essential elements of Generations school life.
Our ideal candidate will:
- have a Master’s Degree in Education
- have 5+ years of school leadership experience and at least 2+ years international work experience
- have experience leading schools through the process of accreditation with external bodies, particularly The Council of International Schools
Our candidate will:
- be internationally minded to lead and manage the school in accordance with Generations’ Vision, Mission and Values
- be passionate about Christian education and excited to shape the lives of future generations
- be enthusiastic about pioneering a new school, including establishing a vibrant campus, building up a strong staff team, and promoting the school in public and to prospective families
- be a proficient and positive team player
- be able to provide pastoral care for students and staff
- be excited to participate in a diverse and international community
The Principal provides effective, dynamic and inspirational leadership in order that every child is able to reach their full God given potential at the new school.
The Principal serves Generations Christian Education (Generations) in supporting the implementation of its vision, mission and values for Christian Education and is part of the Generations Senior Leadership Team (SLT). The Principal shall also serve to implement Generations’ plan to open a Primary School in school year 2022-23 (August 2022).
The primary purposes of the Principal are:
- To lead the planning, development, and launch of the new school.
- To lead and manage the school in accordance with Generations’ Vision, Mission and Values
- To provide the best possible learning environment where children achieve their potential as life-long learners
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of the children
- To build, inspire and motivate an outstanding team of staff
- To help promote and represent the school in public forums
- To be a proficient and positive team player
Line management is provided by the Executive Director, and functions through regular meetings, Senior Leadership Team meetings and monthly written reports. The Principal is also to work closely with the NEXGEN team prior to the launch of the school.
To ensure that the programme of learning at the school:
- Is developed and prepared in order to launch the school for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Builds solid foundations of God’s love through a Biblical worldview curriculum that enables students to follow Jesus Christ and know his word.
- Is implemented as a broad, engaging, exciting and fun curriculum, which is regularly reviewed and continually developed. The Curriculum focuses on the enquiry-based International Primary Curriculum (IPC), bolstered by the UK National Literacy Framework and the Australian National Mathematics Curriculum with Christian studies, Chinese Studies, Music, and PE.
- Secures high quality learning in all aspects of the curriculum leading in design and implementation.
- Enables children to make excellent progress in all aspects of the curriculum.
- Introduces best practices, high quality resources and enriching school programmes and classroom environments that are monitored, evaluated and constantly upgraded, allowing for desired levels of learning and teaching.
- Is implemented by highly qualified teaching staff who develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate effective teaching and learning.
- Facilitates consistent and continuous school-wide student assessment and achievement evaluation using appropriate data and benchmarks to track and evaluate individual student progress.
- Maintains high standards of behavior following Generations Christian Education policy.
- Secures a caring, supportive and inclusive environment for all students.
- Works to remove barriers to achievement for all students.
- Provides appropriate challenges to all students, allowing them to perform to their full potential.
- Provides nurturing and attentive pastoral care for all students
- Includes regular reporting and reflective analysis of student progress and achievement to the Executive Director and Director of Learning.
- Satisfies the requirements of the Education Bureau of Hong Kong SAR.
- In order to launch and establish the new school with excellence: recruit, recommend for hire, and retain; develop, motivate, and lead high-quality teaching, support, and administrative staff to achieve their highest professional standards in line with Generations policies.
- Ensure appropriate care and encouragement of staff, reporting on challenging personnel issues as appropriate.
- Implement and maintain an effective annual performance management process for all school staff.
- Effective promotion of professional development and academic growth of staff through systematic continued development programmes.
- Build a collaborative learning environment across Generations Schools and learning agencies to build effective and positive learning communities.
- Delegate to staff in a way that promotes their development, enables them to perform to their full potential, holds them accountable, provides support and recognises them fully as proficient team players.
- In conjunction with the Generations Senior Admissions and Marketing Manager and Marketing Communications Manager, develop and implement effective external and internal marketing strategies in order to establish brand awareness, attract new students, and maximise the school’s opening and ongoing enrolment, along with the retention of existing students.
- Assist in the development of, and participate in, admissions activities as necessary for new school promotion and enrolment.
- To encourage the School community stakeholders to be passionate advocates of the School and actively promote it to others.
- Administer and implement all Generations’ policies.
- Manage the day-to-day administrative and operation needs of the School, in conjunction with Generations, including, but not limited to, enrolment, staff management, health and safety of staff and property and maintenance of facilities.
- Maintain appropriate documentation of the performance, evaluation and management of all staff and students.
- Experience leading schools through the process of accreditation with external bodies, particularly The Council of International Schools
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer to develop and manage the School’s budget.
- Annual submission of accurate financial modeling scenarios to the Executive Director and/or their
- Work with Generations SLT to ensure external accreditation status is achieved, managed and maintained.
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure that the School complies with the regulatory requirements of Hong Kong Education Bureau, legal counsel, and other government agencies.
- To assist the Executive Director on behalf of the Generations Board in implementing the School’s Strategic Development Plan.
- To regularly review school performance and improve outcomes through the design and ongoing implementation of a School Development Plan (SDP), which details time-lines and budget outcomes and School Improvement Plan (SIP).
- Participate in regular governance training as part of the Senior Leadership Team with the Board.
- Report to the Executive Director on the effectiveness of all aspects of the School’s performance, including SDP and SIP.
- Be active in both the development and promotion of the Generations’ vision to our stakeholders.
- Stimulate, foster and enhance a sense of community amongst staff, parents and students that encourages them to support the Vision, Mission and Values of the School through excellent interpersonal skills, accepting and providing appropriate advice.
- Consistently use and develop information systems, in conjunction with Generations, to ensure exemplary communication links to promote high quality relationships with all stakeholders.
- Manage the School in a way which promotes its brand as a high quality School to both current and potential students and their families.
- Build community relationships and School collaboration.
- Communicate effectively to parents and stakeholders on school programmes, student achievements, placements and behaviour.
- Ensure representation and support from the School at all Parent-Teacher Association meetings.
- Investigate, develop and coordinate suitable courses which support School families.
- Liaise with the Generations Senior Leadership Team on stakeholder relationships, trends in student numbers, local population and contacts with external agencies.
- Coordinate with respective kindergartens/pre-primary and secondary schools to ensure well-managed and supportive transitions, both in and out of the school.
- Effectively manage the School’s operational risks, in conjunction with Generations, to an acceptable level, including a regular regimen of inspection and maintenance of School property and buildings.
- Ensure all students and staff are acceptably safe and secure.
- Ensure all students are registered; fees are appropriately paid/settled.
- Alert the Executive Director/Senior Leadership Team of any material issues that arise and how they are being addressed efficiently.
Generations Senior Management Duties:
- Assist the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer in the development of Generations Christian Education, offering advice and support in all areas.
- Attend relevant meetings as required e.g. Board meetings, Senior Leadership Team meetings, sub-committee meetings, senior staff meetings.
- Promote the ethos and message of Generations Christian Education.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Executive Director
- Ensure that all aspects of school administration and operations adhere to the Operational Policy and Procedures Manual.