Learning Support Teacher
Island Christian Academy (IslandCA) strives to provide a high-quality teaching and learning environment based upon Biblical World View principles that facilitate whole child development where teachers seek, by personal example, to inspire students in Christian faith and living in the school community. The Learning Support Teacher contributes to this goal by understanding and advocating for how each child is uniquely created. The Learning Support Teacher works collaboratively with the learning support team to plan, deliver and assess effective individual and small-group interventions in support of students with specific learning challenges.
The Learning Support Teacher reports directly to the Head of Learning Support, who reports to the Vice-Principal of Pastoral Care (or delegate).
To ensure that the program of education at IslandCA:
- Builds solid foundations of God’s love through a Biblical worldview curriculum that enables students to follow Jesus Christ and know His word.
- Is in accordance with the requirements of the Education Bureau in Hong Kong and other relevant government departments.
- Promotes equality as an integral part of the role and to treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
Planning & Teaching:
- To provide programs, direct instructions and support to students with learning support needs under the direction of the Head of Learning Support.
- To plan opportunities to develop social, emotional and cultural aspects of student’s learning in collaboration with the Learning Support Team, the EAL Coach and the School Counsellor / GATE Coordinator.
- To create and manage a caring, engaging, purposeful and stimulating environment which is conducive to children’s learning, and which is regularly reviewed and continually developed.
- To work collaboratively with classroom teachers through observations and strategy development, in order to meet the needs of individual students.
- To work collaboratively with Learning Support Educational Assistants to ensure that student Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and other programs are delivered effectively.
- To communicate, update and consult with staff and parents regarding relevant learning support topics.
- To support the process of the evaluation of student needs under the direction of the Head of Learning Support
- To coordinate and collaborate with outside specialists under the direction of the Head of Learning Support
- To create ILPs and carry out activities/programs based on IL
- To ensure that IslandCA policies are reflected in daily practice.
- To stay up to date with changes and developments in the structure of the curriculum.
- To identify clear teaching objectives and learning outcomes, with appropriate challenge and high expectations.
- To manage groups or individual students ensuring differentiation of learning needs, reflecting all abilities.
- To work to remove barriers to underachievement for all students, particularly those with learning support needs.
- To liaise with outside agencies when appropriate eg. Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Educational Psychologists.
- To ensure effective use of support staff within the classroom, including Educational Assistants.
- To maintain behaviour at a high standard, following Island Christian Academy policy, safeguarding children’s health and safety.
Assessment & Reporting:
- To maintain a regular system of monitoring, assessment, record-keeping and reporting of children’s progress.
- To carry out regular reporting and reflective analysis of student progress and achievement, and report to the Principal and Head of Learning Support.
- To prepare appropriate records for the transfer of students.
- To provide feedback to students to facilitate positive student development.
- To deliver effective communication to parents and stakeholders on school programs, student achievements, placements and behaviour.
- To stimulate, foster and enhance a sense of community amongst staff, parents and students that encourages them to support the Vision and Mission of the School.
- To promote high-quality relationships with all stakeholders.
- To build up community relations and school collaboration.
- To take part in school events and activities which may take place at weekends or in the evening (within the reasonable request of school Principal).
- To participate in staff meetings as required.
- To supervise students during classes and at other times in the school day, including in the playground and dinner hall during breaks, at the direction of the Principal.
- To assist and organise sporting activities, school concerts and excursions.
- To lead or supervise an after school club as part of the school’s extra-curricular programme (as included in school contract).
- To liaise with colleagues and work flexibly at the direction of the Head of Learning Support and the IslandCA Senior Leadership Team
- To implement and support learning support curriculum development as identified in the School Improvement Plan, and as directed by the Head of Learning Support or the
- To be part of a whole school team, actively involved in decision-making on the preparation and development of policies and programmes of study, teaching materials, resources, methods of teaching and pastoral arrangements.
- To support the Principal in promoting the ethos of the school.
- To administer and implement the policies of Island Christian Academy.
- To maintain appropriate documentation for the performance, evaluation and management of all students in your class.
- To continue personal professional development and to participate in the Personal Growth and Development (PGD) programme.
- To promote the welfare of children and to support the school in safeguarding children though relevant policies and procedures.
- To ensure all children and staff are safe and secure, informing the Principal of any issues.
- To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the Schools Health and Safety policy, laws of Hong Kong and any school-specific procedures/rules that apply to this role.
- Other related duties as requested by the Principal or their delegate.