Learning Assistant – Learning Support
The Learning Assistant serves the School supporting the implementation of its vision for Christian Education by assisting teachers and specialist teachers in class.
Line management will be provided by the homeroom teacher / Chinese Studies teacher in the case of Learning Assistants / Learning Assistants – Chinese Studies or Learning Support Co-ordinator (LSCo) / Learning Support Teacher (LST) in the case of Learning Assistants – Learning Support.
Performance Management will be provided by a member of the leadership team and functions through regular meetings, the annual Performance Management cycle and Learning Assistant meetings.
The term Learning Assistant is generic. Within this definition, the titles of this position include:
- Learning Assistant provides general classroom support to the homeroom teachers and subject/specialist teachers when delivering the curriculum to students.
- Learning Assistant – Chinese Studies provides general classroom support to the Chinese Studies teachers when delivering the curriculum to students.
- Learning Assistant – Learning Support operates particularly in support of LSCo / LSTs in working with children with particular needs when delivering the curriculum to students. Learning Assistants – Learning Support provides support to students who participate in the Learning Support Services Programme.
The position holder reports to the Class Teacher (or delegate) who reports directly to the Principal of the School.
- Classroom and Support
- To provide general instructional support to students in the lesson so that daily lesson objectives are reached in the classroom.
- To provide assistance to help students to reinforce targeted lesson skills on a one-to-one basis or in small or large groups of students.
- To work under the direction of homeroom teachers or Chinese Studies teachers or subject / special teachers or LSCo / LST and be available to provide targeted support to students.
- To assist homeroom or Chinese Studies or subject / special teachers or LSCo / LST in the preparation of resources and the classroom.
- To provide assessment information on children’s achievements in tasks they have been supporting with.
- To provide clerical support to the homeroom teachers or Chinese Studies teachers or subject / special teachers or LSCo / LST.
- To assist Chinese Studies teachers in implementing strategies and activities to support and maximize each student’s ability to learn Chinese.
- To help homeroom teachers or Chinese Studies teachers or subject / special teachers or LSCo / LST with various duties of classroom management such as supervising students during class time.
- To take on ad hoc tasks as directed by the Principal.
- To be a positive representative in the community that encourages them to support the Vision and Mission of the school.
- To ensure that classroom administrative duties are carried out promptly and thoroughly such as distribution of letters and information to parents, collection and processing of moneys and forms, submission of internal forms.
- To provide ad-hoc administration support to the school office if required.
- Risk Management
- To monitor students and the environment for safety and security. Identifying areas of risk and working with the Principal and other staff to improve safety and security for all people and property.
- Other duties as necessary and related.
- Internal Liaisons: Executive Director, Principal, Directors, Officers, School teaching and non-teaching staff, the Schools’ Parents’ Association, Parents, Students and Custodians
- External Liaisons: New and interested Students and Parents, Vendors, Guests
Accountability & Extent of Authority
The position holder must ensure that he/she operates in accordance with the specific objectives and strategies determined for the effective management of Generations and its Schools’ resources and that decisions made by the position holder are subject to review by the Chief Operating Officer or his/her delegate.