Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
I was one told “parents only turn up to Parent Teacher Association (PTA) Meetings if something is going wrong at the school. If everything is going well, parents would rather stay home and watch TV.” While I scoffed at this remark when it was said, throughout my time at NIS and other schools, I have seen that there is some truth to this statement, and it is very unfortunate.
All NIS parents and teachers are members of the PTA but sadly only a few have attended meetings this year. This has meant that only a handful of people have had a say in the decisions that have been made at these meetings, or been involved in the organisation of the PTA events and activities. Despite this the PTA has been able to make a huge impact on the school, and more importantly, on the education and growth of each individual student. Some examples include:
• The PTA organised the School Fair which was very successful this year.
• The PTA have raised over $115,000 which will go towards improving the facitilites at both the Kindergarten and Primary School (they hope to raise $300,000 by the end of the year).
• The PTA arranged for the Christmas Concert Video to be produced.
• The PTA were consulted and involved in making decisions regarding school fees for the coming year and the future of the NIS school uniform. They have also been consulted regarding a range of other important decisions that affect the future of our school.
• The PTA are currently organising the Viking Evening which is one of our main school community events for the year.
I would like to thank those few who have been diligent in being actively involved with the PTA this year as you have made a significant difference to our school. For those who have not been involved yet, its not too late. The PTA is looking for people to help with the upcoming Viking Evening. There are a range of ways that you can help and volunteering is as easy as emailing the PTA (firstname.lastname@example.org). The best way that we can show our support and gratitude towards the PTA members who have worked hard this year is to be willing to give them practical support. Volunteering to help is a very worthy step to take, and one which I am sure you will be glad that you did.