News

February 4 2016

Principal’s Message Feb. 3, 16

God’s grace has been given to me. So here is what I say to every one of you. Don’t think of yourself more highly than you should. Be reasonable when you think about yourself. Keep in mind the faith God has given to each of you. Romans 12:3

Tomorrow school reports will be sent home for all Kindergarten and Primary School students. This can be a nervous time for students as their efforts and achievements are clearly displayed for their parents to see. Some students worry that they have not tried hard enough or achieved enough to satisfy their parents. Because of this they are not looking forward to what their parents have to say about their report.

Today I want to challenge all parents with a question to keep in mind when they are reading their child’s report:
Do I expect more from my child than I give to my child?

If you received a report on your parenting what kind of marks would you receive and what would be the comment from the teacher. Most parents would get high marks on some aspects of parenting but slightly lower on others. One parent may receive high marks on ensuring that their child eats healthy food, but low marks on their ability to get them to go to bed on time consistently. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses but hopefully they are focused on improving every aspect of what they do.

Reports, whether on our parenting or on our child’s progress in school, should be an opportunity to celebrate what is going well and to reflect on how improvements can be made in the future. Please take time to discuss your child’s report with your child. Celebrate with them all the great achievements that are high-lighted in the report, and remember to pay particular attention to the effort they are putting into each subject. Focusing on past failures and disappointments is only useful in as far as it helps us improve in the future and so parents should be careful to read their child’s report with the future in mind. Acknowledge areas where improvements can be made and then commit to working with your child to help them see greater success in the future. Through this, hopefully both you and your child can receive an even better report next time.