News

December 16 2015

Principal’s Message Dec. 16, 15

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever be-lieves in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

In the Peanuts Cartoon at Christmas one year, Lucy went up to Charlie Brown and said, “Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown. `Tis the season of peace on earth & good will toward men. Therefore, I suggest we forget all our differences & love one another.”

Charlie Brown, whose face lights up at this, says, “That’s wonderful, Lucy. I’m so glad you said that. But tell me, do we have to love each other only at this season of the year? Why can’t we love each other all year long?”

This cartoon reminded me of the more serious Christmas Truce of World War I. After six months of bloody fighting on the Western Front, German and British soldiers paused on Christmas Day to talk with each other, sing Christmas carols together, and even play a game of football with each other. The next day the troops returned to their trenches and resumed their bloody fighting against each other. I always marvel at how these soldiers could wish peace and goodwill to each other one day, and then be bitter enemies with each other the next.

The point of Christmas isn’t that we should have a day, or even a few weeks, of peace and goodwill at the end of each year. Unlike the British and German soldiers, we should not look forward to a short time of peace and goodwill each year, and then resume our fighting straight afterwards. The point of Christmas is to celebrate that Jesus came in to the world, and died for our sins, and that through Him we can have peace and goodwill towards all people forever more.