News

December 5 2014

Principal’s Message Vol.39 – Dec 2014

Dear Island CA Community, 您好.

In the last couple of newsletters I wrote about what I shared at the Parent Teacher Association A.G.M.  In the most recent newsletter, I wrote about the IPC and IMYC Curricula.  In the newsletter before that I outlined our Middle School plans.

Some other things talked about with the PTA were:

(1) School Fees:  The fees for the 2015/2016 school year will increase as follows: There will be a 6 % increase in the tuition fee (from $95,500 to $101,200 per annum) and a 10% increase in the annual capital levy (from $11,500 to $12,650 per annum).

A graph is printed further on in the newsletter, showing a comparison of Island CA fees with those of other international schools. As you can see Island CA’s fees are still much lower than those of most other international schools.

(2) Facility development: We are planning further development of this school site, especially of the 7th and 8th floors, including the rooftop playground.

(3) Education outside the classroom and Physical Education: We plan to broaden this part of our programme.  In order to do so we will need to expand our use of other sites. We are discussing whether to cover this by way of an overall sports fee per       annum, or a separate charge per activity.

We welcome feedback on our school plans; either talk to me in person or email me on principal@islandca.edu.hk.

I shared with students on Monday that ‘Advent’ has now started on the Christian calendar. During ‘Advent’ we look forward to the ‘Event’.  Christmassy things we are looking forward to at Island CA are the Christmas Fair this Saturday, our “Topsy Turvy World” nativity play on 17th December, the class parties and all the decorations.

Depending on what culture and country your children are from, they may be looking forward to decorations, presents, Christmas trees, giving to others, Santa Claus, Father Christmas or St Nicholas. A recent visitor spoke to the staff about the origins of Santa Claus, aka St Nicholas.  Nicholas lived in the third century in Turkey.  He loved helping the poor and would leave gifts secretly at night.  He became a bishop, and was eventually canonised (made a saint).     Find out more on http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/home/

Parents have done a fantastic job of decorating the school in a ‘sustainable’ way.  There is a book Christmas tree, and handmade gold and silver light hangings….. Thank you so much to all the parents who have helped us prepare for the Fair and the Production,

I look forward to seeing many of you on Saturday!

Debbie Middleton,

Principal