News

November 21 2014

Principal’s Message 2 – Nov 2014

Dear Island CA Community, 您好.

I mentioned in my last newsletter that I would share something over the next few weeks regarding school developments. Last week I shared about our Middle school plans. This week I will write more about the IPC & IMYC Curricula.

The IPC and IMYC curricula are consistent with our school goals for quality teaching and learning in educating the whole child. These curricula are the fastest growing curricula in the world today. They are used in over 1600 schools in 92 countries. IPC and IMYC are new, based on the latest brain research and the best practices from around the world. The units are engaging, student-centred, inquiry-based, and have an integrated approach to teaching and learning.

Island CA is part way through its full IPC accreditation process, we aim to move from being an IPC ‘member’ school to being a ‘mastering’ school. We had IPC visitors come in August; we will have another visit in March 2015 and another in 2016. These are all to help us become a better IPC school. IPC is philosophically similar to IB-PYP, as is IMYC (Middle school) to IB-MYP. Students move seamlessly from IPC to IMYC to IB, or other western type secondary school qualifications such as A levels, GCSE, AP etc.

The new Island CA students’ mid year progress reports will have an IPC section including Personal Goals, International Mindedness, Knowledge, Skills and Understanding, (See Mrs Penner’s explanation about these further on in the newsletter). The units of work all have a learning structure that include the ‘Big Idea’, ‘Entry Point‘, ‘Knowledge Harvest’, ‘Learning Goals’ , ‘Assessment for Learning’ and ‘Exit Point’. I saw many of you visit the students’ exhibition and learning stations during the year 4 exit point in the school hall. What the students were presenting was a culmination of their learning for the unit ‘Paintings, Pictures and Photographs’. As many of you commented, the art work was really superior for 8 year olds. I especially enjoyed seeing the parents cave paintings! (See exhibition photos further on in the newsletter.)

God Bless You,

Debbie Middleton, Principal.